[Rarebooks] Holographic letter from Queen Mary of Teck

The Prints & The Paper theprintsandthepaper at comcast.net
Tue May 22 13:23:41 EDT 2012

Trade discount of 20% allowed. Prefer check or paypal for payment: my cc
processor allows only $500 but it's possible I can have them raise the limit
if necessary.

Holographic letter from Queen Mary of Teck, consort of George V. On
Buckingham mourning stationery, June 1936. (George V died in January) Plus a
relevant postcard.
This letter is a folded sheet providing four panels, but the message covers
only the first two pages. Her writing was very large and "sprawled" (and
took a while to decipher). Scans on request.
"To those who have so kindly united in giving us the Silver Jubilee Tapestry
it falls to me alone to return the thanks in which I know that the late King
would have joined so warmly, and this I do with a very full sense of
gratitude for so beautiful a token of many long and precious friendships. My
dear husband took a great interest in the preparatory sketches and designs,
and I feel sure that others will feel the happiness that I feel in
remembering that it was he who chose the position [?] in which it was to
hang at Windsor.

"Both this noble tapestry and the two handsome Oriental vases which
accompanied it will continue to earn the admiration of posterity.

"To share the enjoyment of these splendid objects, to me the realization of
that personal devotion towards us both of which they are the lovely
expression I thank you with all my heart.
MARY R (Regina)"

Plus an anonymous postcard with a portrait of Queen Mary, dated July 1952
regarding "wake week" (this time for King George VI) when shops will be
closed and stating "I'm going shopping for all I am worth."

The story goes that King George V's doctors were instructed to see that he
died during the night, so that the announcement would appear in the morning
edition of the newspapers.

The two items: $1500

Posterity may admire these items, but I could not find reference to the
tapestry in online sources.
Regards, Lee
Lee Kirk
"Cats are composed of Matter, Anti-Matter, and It Doesn't Matter" (Anon A.
Mouse)
"Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
to have for dinner."
-- James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

The Prints & The Paper
PO Box 5432
Eugene OR 97405
PH: 541-683-7033
mailto:theprintsandthepaper at comcast.net
<http://www.printsandthepaper.com/>
Etsy Site:   http://www.etsy.com/shop/theprintsandthepaper
A blog on books, ephemera, and whatnot: http://windyword.blogspot.com/

Member Ephemera Society of America, AAPA, IOBA, and ABookCoOp (Tomfolio) -
an international cooperative of independent used booksellers.
Shop Co-Op! at www.tomfolio.com <http://www.tomfolio.com/>