[Rarebooks] FS: T.S. Eliot 1948 TLS to the Archbishop of York

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:59:21 EST 2012

 Eliot, Thomas Stearns. Typewritten Letter Signed (TLS) on letterhead of
the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, to the Archbishop of York,
November 9, 1948. . Original manuscript. One-half page on quarto
letterhead, with five emendations in Eliot's hand, signed as T.S. Eliot. In
part: "...Your Grace's kind letter...has been forwarded by my secretary, as
I have been at this Institute since the beginning of October....I feel
greatly honored by your Grace's attention and am most happy to have
received this letter....Your Grace's humble ("obedient" written in)
servant, T.S. Eliot." Very Good.
Eliot had converted from Unitarian to Anglican in 1927, but identified
himself as "Anglo-Catholic." He was appointed to the Institute for Advanced
Study after winning the Nobel Prize in 1948.      $1,750.00

*Terms*:  Payment by check, money order, PayPal, or credit card in US funds.
 Libraries billed on request.  Trade discount.  Shipping charges:  $5
insured first class mail.
Shipments abroad at cost.  Returns accepted with advance notice, within 10
days of receipt

R & A  Petrilla   PO Box 306   Roosevelt, NJ 08555   (609) 426-4999