[Rarebooks] FS: 1889 Chemistry of Iron for Iron Merchants

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Aug 12 07:57:15 EDT 2013

TITLE: “Notes on the Chemistry of Iron for professional men, students,
iron and steel merchants, and all interested in iron”

By Magnus Troilius.
Published in New York by John Wiley & Sons in 1889. 3rd edition, revised
and enlarged.

DISCUSSION: Magnus Troilius, a Swedish engineer, was one of many
foreigners introduced to American industry by the famous engineer and
metallurgist Alexander L. Holley, who had constructed the first successful
Bessemer steel plant in the United States in 1865. Troilius worked at the
Midvale Steel Company, and published the first edition of this book in
1885. It is a comprehensive guide book, describing and explaining all the
processes involved in assaying and analyzing iron ores, gas analysis, and
electrolysis. It also contains a very interesting appendix which lists
every single item needed to set up a laboratory for steel analysis.

the text; publisher's blue cloth with gilt titles.

CONDITION NOTES: Light wear, slight cover scuffing, half-title neatly
removed, but otherwise clean and nice, with a tight binding.

PRICE:  $75 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-08-5-13.html#anchor2>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
Books on Furniture
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_343.pdf>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.