[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce SIGNED Herbert Hoover Document Lobbying to be the First Food Administrator

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Feb 13 12:27:20 EST 2013

One of hundreds of fine SIGNED PRESIDENTIAL items in our inventory
including letters, ephemera, photographs, and signed books, all of which
can be seen at http://www.charlesagvent.com

HOOVER, Herbert. DOCUMENT SIGNED (DS): Statement by HERBERT HOOVER for
release to all editions of morning papers. A scarce one-page press
release of @300 words, SIGNED both in type and holograph by Hoover at
the conclusion, regarding the need to pass the Fulmer Bill and to create
the position of Food Administrator in the Roosevelt administration.
Hoover was appointed this very position by Woodrow Wilson at the end of
the World War I. During this time, Franklin Roosevelt said about him:
"He is certainly a wonder, and I wish we could make him president of the
United States." That wish did, of course, come true, and Hoover served
during the worst economic depression in the nation's history, sans
technology stocks. He was overwhelmingly defeated for reelection by the
very man who wished he would become president. In part: "No responsible
person has proposed a Food 'Czar,' nor an Angel Gabriel. What large
sections of the country and the House Agricultural Committee have
demanded is a Food Administrator, acting within laws passed by Congress
and under the President. We need a manager, not a 'dictator.'" An
interesting Hoover piece, probably limited to distribution to certain
major newspapers, and quite unlikely that many have survived. This comes
from the estate of an editor for a major New York newspaper. Near Fine,
a remarkable and scarce piece. (#003452)        $1,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/003452.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com