[Rarebooks] FS: FDR Inscribed to Screenwriter Carey Wilson, co-founder of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Feb 19 11:38:11 EST 2013

[ROOSEVELT, Franklin D.] WILSON, Carey. THE PRESIDENT'S BIRTHDAY PARTY
BROADCAST. First Edition. Quarto (8-1/2" x 11") bound in full
gilt-lettered red morocco leather; 12 pages. An ORIGINAL typed Andy
Hardy radio script by Carey Wilson that followed the birthday broadcast
for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1939. This copy is INSCRIBED
to Wilson and SIGNED by Roosevelt on the last page. Laid down to a front
blank page is a letter from the Secretary to the President, Stephen
Early, on White House stationary dated 7 February 1939: "This is by way
of acknowledging your letter to me under date of January thirty-first,
with enclosed script of the Hardy Family program which followed the
President's Birthday Address on the air. I am happy to advise you that
the President has signed a copy of your manuscript by name and has asked
me to forward it to you with an expression of his best wishes." Not only
a rare script from the Andy Hardy legacy but a truly unique Presidential
item. Minor wear. About Fine.

Carey Wilson, one of the 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture
Arts and Sciences, was a writer, narrator, and producer. His many
screenwriting credits include BEN HUR and MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY for which
he was nominated for an Oscar. As a producer he contributed to the rise
of many notable screen stars including Lana Turner, Mickey Rooney, Judy
Garland, Esther Williams, Margaret O'Brien, and Red Skelton. His films
included THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, GREEN DOLPHIN STREET, and
SCARAMOUCHE. Wilson is perhaps best known, however, as the creator of
the film series DR. KILDARE and ANDY HARDY (played by Mickey Rooney),
said to be the most successful and most popular film series ever made in
the United States. Wilson has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
  (#015952)        $4,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/015952.JPG

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com