[Rarebooks] FS: Dwight Eisenhower's INAUGURAL ADDRESS Inscribed by "Uncle Ike" to his niece

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 21 11:20:28 EST 2013

EISENHOWER, Dwight and EISENHOWER, Mamie. INAUGURAL ADDRESS OF DWIGHT D.
EISENHOWER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES DELIVERED AT THE CAPITOL ...
JANUARY 20, 1953. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1953. First
Edition. Printed wraps, 5 pages. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the newly
elected President on the front cover: "For Janis/from her/Uncle Ike." On
the eve of the Cold War Eisenhower makes some prescient statements:
"Americans, indeed all free men, remember that in the final choice a
soldier's pack is not so heavy a burden as a prisoner's chains....
Honoring the identity and the special heritage of each nation in the
world, we shall never use our strength to try to impress upon another
people our own cherished political and economic institutions." Along
with the signed address, there is an 8" x 10" black-and-white photograph
by Abbie Rowe of Dwight and Mamie waving from their car on Pennsylvania
Avenue and an unused Inauguration ticket for an honored guest for
Section A, Row 8, Seat 7. Also included is a TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS)
from Mamie Eisenhower, with a White House envelope, dated 11 February
1953 to her neice. In part: "I suppose by now Dad and Lucy have given
you all the details on the Inauguration festivities. All I can add is
that it was very exciting, thrilling, tiring and heartwarming, and we
have many precious memories from it all." Mrs. Eisenhower adds in her
handwriting a postscript: "We surely did miss you." Superb archive,
especially so due to the close family relationship. Fine. (#014921)
     $8,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014921.jpg

--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com