[Rarebooks] FS: First Printing of The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 21 11:43:09 EST 2013

HOWE, Julia Ward. "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" in the February 1862
Issue of THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY. Boston: Ticknor and Fields, February
1862. First Edition. Original beige printed wraps with an American flag
centered over a sun bursting behind clouds. The true first printing of
one of the most celebrated hymns of the nineteenth century, written at
night near the beleaguered capital of Washington at the beginning of the
Civil War. In Howe's book REMINISCENCES: 1819-1899, she describes the
composition of this important piece of Americana: "I went to bed that
night as usual, and slept, according to my wont, quite soundly. I awoke
in the gray of the morning twilight; and as I lay waiting for the dawn,
the long lines of the desired poem began to twine themselves in my mind.
Having thought out all the stanzas, I said to myself, 'I must get up and
write these verses down, lest I fall asleep again and forget them.' So,
with a sudden effort, I sprang out of bed, and found in the dimness an
old stump of a pen which I remembered to have used the day before. I
scrawled the verses almost without looking at the paper" (page 275). The
poem earned her the grand total of $5 upon its publication on the first
page of the February 1862 issue of THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY along with the
added bonus of instant and lasting fame. Later Howe became president of
the New England Woman Suffrage Association as well as the Association of
the Advancement of Women. Howe was honored as the first woman elected to
the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1908, two years before her
death at 91. Usually found in the bound volume of six issues without
covers, the individual issue is quite scarce, especially in this
condition. Near Fine. (#016164)        $1,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016164.jpg
--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com