[Rarebooks] fa: ENGLANDS APPEAL FROM THE PRIVATE CABAL AT WHITE-HALL 1673

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 15 13:13:19 EDT 2013

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, July 21. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/ngnhewj

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

"This is an Age of Wonders... We have all seen or had a share in those passages which Posterity will hardly give more credit to, then [sic] we do to what is said of King Arthurs Round Table… But among all our unexpected changes, Revolutions and Counsels, there is scarce any more likely to be wondred [sic] at, then the present alliance with France, and the War we have undertaken and do still persist to prosecute against Holland..."

Englands Appeal from the Private Cabal at White-Hall to the Great Council of the Nation, the Lords and Commons in Parliament Assembled. By a True Lover of his Country. [Scotland?]: Anno 1673. FIRST EDITION (variant with the last word being "Ninis"). Small 4to (19.5 cm) in modern, but not recent, wraps; [2] + 52 pp. Wing L2372B; ESTC R217297.

Variously attributed to Sir William Coventry, Baron de Lisola, Peter du Moulin and John Trevor. A rather crudely printed pamphlet on the contemporary situation in Europe, with a condemnation of the ways in which Charles II's Privy Councilors were conducting the Third Anglo-Dutch War. Intermittent damp-staining (most prominent on the first 5-6 leaves); soiling and archival paper repair to the last leaf; a few occasional small spots; otherwise clean and sound, securely bound.