[Rarebooks] FS: Maffei's guide to the Art & Architecture of Verona. 4 vols. 1732-1731

karmbooks at aol.com karmbooks at aol.com
Thu Jul 18 12:18:07 EDT 2013

Maffei, Francesco Scipione. VERONA ILLUSTRATA. Parte Prima Contiene l'Historia Della Citta' e Insieme Dell'Antica Venezia Dell'Origine Fino Alla Venuta in Italia di Carlo Magno. Verona: Per Jacopo Vallarsi, e Pierantonio Berno. 1732-1731. Thick 8vo. 4 vols. Indices. Title pages printed in red & black with a copper engraved vignette. This set with 56 added copper engraved plates (23 folding, including a double-fold plan of Verona), plus engraved headpieces, text engravings and historiated woodcut initials. Cont. vellum, somewhat soiled, gilt stamped spine labels. A few minor stains in Vol. IV, otherwise a nice, clean set.	$2,500.00 (trade discount allowed)
Vol. II "L'Istoria Letteraria o Sia la Notizia de'Scrittori Veronesi." Vol. III "La Notizia Delle Cose in Questa Citta Piu Osservabili." Vol. IV "Il Tratto in Questa Seconda Edizione Accresciuto Anche di Figure de Gli Anfiteatri e Singolarmente dell Veronese." Note: this edition (not to be confused with the 2 volume folio edition) is found with various plate counts. Part of the problem is that there are 4 full-page engravings that are part of the text collation (not added plates) that may be counted in error (these are not counted in our total of 56 plates). The greatest number of plates I have found is 58 (not knowing how this was counted), and the smallest number is 44, as listed in Fossati-Bellani's  I LIBRI DI VIAGGIO E LE GUIDE DELLA RACCOLTA #2485. Cicognara #4034 (the folio edition).

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com