[Rarebooks] Signed T. S. Eliot at a reduced price

Allington Books allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 09:47:01 EDT 2013

*Offered only today at a substantially reduced price (payment due at
purchase):
*
*

Eliot, T. S.* [Thomas Stearns Eliot]. *Collected Poems of T. S. Eliot* [*
Signed*] New York: Harcourt, Brace and Company, 1936. First edition. *PRESENTLY
DISCOUTNED. WAS $2,610.*   A Fine copy of the first American edition, later
printing, of this book (spine ends modestly pushed, only bear touches of
wear), in a Very Good + second issue dust jacket (some toning and wear to
the spine, small chips to upper flap folds, quite minor general wear and
modest general toning), SIGNED BY T. S. ELIOT on the title page and there
inscribed by him as follows: "Compliments / T. S. Eliot". Considered by
many to be the 20th Century's most important English-language Poet, T. S.
Eliot won the 1948 Nobel Prize in Literature "for his outstanding, pioneer
contribution to present-day poetry". Born in the United States, Eliot
immigrated to England in 1914 and 13 years later became a naturalized
British subject. Notwithstanding that he lived in England most of his adult
life, of his Poetry Eliot stated: "I'd say that my poetry has obviously
more in common with my distinguished contemporaries in America than with
anything written in my generation in England. That I'm sure of. ... It
wouldn't be what it is, and I imagine it wouldn't be so good; putting it as
modestly as I can, it wouldn't be what it is if I'd been born in England,
and it wouldn't be what it is if I'd stayed in America. It's a combination
of things. But in its sources, in its emotional springs, it comes from
America." "Collected Poems" includes Eliot’s great early work such as
Prufrock, The Wasteland and Burnt Norton, and Eliot's above statement makes
owning this Signed American issue of his Collected Poems especially
appropriate. Only 4,700 copies of this book were printed, and, as a result,
copies of the first issue do not abound. Signed copies of any issue are
uncommon, and signed copies of the book in original cloth are quite scarce.
Copies in a condition as nice as is this one are scarcer still, and signed
copies as nice as this one wearing the priced dust jacket are exceedingly
difficult to find. [This copy belonged to Actor Jack Palance and the
bookplate from the 2006 sale of his personal property is loosely laid in.]
Altogether an excellent and rare copy, SIGNED AND GENERICALLY INSCRIBED BY
T. S. ELIOT. RARE. Fine in very good dust-jacket. Hardcover. (#00003231)
    *$1,000.00*

*Terms:*

Subject to prior sale as well as to being put on hold for a customer's
consideration.  Orders sent to an address in North Carolina will be charged
the applicable sales tax.

*Payment is due at purchase.*  Items are returnable for a refund as long as
we receive notice of the return *within* *3 days* of Buyer's receipt of the
item, and then receive the item in the same condition as delivered to Buyer
*within 15 days* of its delivery to Buyer.

*Discount applies only to direct purchases via our site.
*

*Photographs* in addition to that on our site are available on request.

Best Wishes,

Stephen
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC

--