[Rarebooks] fa: THANKSGIVING for the DEFEAT of the LATE HORRID AND UNNATURAL REBELLION - 1716

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 4 10:54:27 EDT 2013

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, June 9. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/m49lj6f

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

William Fisher: A Thanksgiving Sermon for the Defeat of the Late Horrid and Unnatural Rebellion. Preach’d to a Congregation of Protestant Dissenters, June the 7th, 1716. London: Printed by R. Tookey, and sold by R. Ford at the Angel in the Poultrey, and J. Harrison at the Corner of Castle-Alley under the Royal-Exchange, 1716. Small 8vo; 24 pp. ESTC N14469. Disbound from a nonce volume with a remnant of old leather binding on the spine; some browning to the first and last page, scattered spotting; original owner's signature on the last page (signed 1716) and occasional light tick marks in the margins.

A dissenting minister celebrates the defeat of the Jacobite Rising of 1715. The pamphlet includes many details of the rising (Preston, Dunblaine, etc.) as well as the requisite amount of rabid vituperation ("We had an Army of Papists, of French and Irish Papists, in our Bowels…"). ESTC locates only three copies in UK institutions and two in the U.S.