[Rarebooks] FS: The destroyer of weeds, thistles and thorns is a benefactor, whether he soweth grain or not

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Sun Jun 9 14:41:27 EDT 2013

INGERSOLL, Robert G . THE WORKS OF ROBERT G. INGERSOLL. "The destroyer
of weeds, thistles and thorns is a benefactor, whether he soweth grain
or not" New York: The Dresden Publishing Co./C. P. Farrell, 1902.
Autograph Edition . Twelve octavo (6" x 9") volumes attractively bound
in 3/4 green morocco leather and marbled boards with gilt rules, the
spine with five raised bands and four floral gilt decorations with red
morocco onlays for the petals. Each volume is illustrated with a
frontispiece, mostly portraits, with the first volume also containing a
hand-colored title page and a check SIGNED by the author bound in. Each
volume is copy #2 of a limited edition of 250 copies. Light wear to some
corners, a nick here and there. About Fine with a handsome shelf appearance.

Ingersoll was a popular orator who spoke on many subjects, his favorite
being agnosticism, and he often poked fun at religious belief. He was
known in his time as "the great agnostic" and a champion in his time for
civil rights, women's reproductive freedom, and limiting the role of
religion in government. Ingersoll enjoyed a friendship with the poet
Walt Whitman, who considered Ingersoll the greatest orator of his time:
"It should not be surprising that I am drawn to Ingersoll, for he is
Leaves of Grass... He lives, embodies, the individuality, I preach. I
see in Bob [Ingersoll] the noblest specimen---American-flavored---pure
out of the soil, spreading, giving, demanding light." Ingersoll
delivered the eulogy at the poet's funeral in 1892. (#015992)
$4,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/015992.JPG

--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $30.00. Overseas postage billed at

info at charlesagvent.com