[Rarebooks] FS: Jules Verne, IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS, 1st Edition 1875, discounted

mjt at mjtbooks.com mjt at mjtbooks.com
Sat May 25 17:12:32 EDT 2013

We can offer the following at the net price of $500.00, postpaid in North America,
Postage extra for overseas.

VERNE, Jules. IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS: A Romantic Narrative of the Loss of Captain Grant and the Brig Britannia and of The Adventures of His Children and Friends in His Discovery and Rescue. Illustrated with One Hundred and Seventy Engravings. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott & Co. 1873. First Edition, First Printing. Large octavo, original green cloth decorated in black and gilt, all edges gilt, brown coated endpapers. Heavily illustrated throughout. The first American edition, and the first edition in English of Verne's fifth book, originally published in France in 1867 as LES ENFANTS DU CAPTAINE GRANT. Neat, clean repairs to the inner hinges, general very light wear to the corners and spine tips; a very nice copy, very good or better. Issued in several colours of cloth, both with and without gilt edges; this is certainly a preferred binding. ¶ Fantastic adventure novel. The contents of a shark's stomach contain a bottle containing notes written in several languages, which together reveal the partial whereabouts of Captain Harry Grant, whose ship The Britannia was lost over two years prior. The latitude of his location is known but not the longitude, and so a group of searchers goes and traces the 37th parallel across the southern hemisphere. The first edition contains all three parts of the tale, it was later republished - usually separately - under the titles VOYAGE ROUND THE WORLD: South America / Australia / New Zealand or as THE MYSTERIOUS DOCUMENT / ON THE TRACK and AMONG THE CANNIBALS. The complete work as issued here was not published in the UK, it is one of the few of Verne's novels which did not get picked up by Sampson Low. Very Good. Hardcover. 		$950.00

For images see here:

http://www.thompsonrarebooks.com/shop/thompson/303451.html

Please note that the book is in hand, and can be shipped immediately; a rather curious state of affairs as we have been living away from home for the past seven months - we live on Hornby Island in the Gulf Islands of BC, but our youngest daughter Ursula was diagnosed with a malignant, cancerous brain tumour seven months ago - she was 18 months old at the time - and we have relocated to a small rental apartment in Vancouver to be able to be with her as she has undergone brain surgery and an extensive course of chemotherapy since last October.

We have not been able to conduct much (any?) business during this time, but I have a few books at hand, and this is one of them. I am offering it at a discounted price due to our current circumstances -

Kind Regards,

Michael John Thompson

------
Thompson Rare Books