[Rarebooks] FS - Cook's Third Voyage complete 4 vols. 1st edition

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Tue Oct 22 12:58:46 EDT 2013

*COOK, Captain James [Vols. I and II] / Captain James King [Vol. III] /
[Vol. IV - Plate Volume]*
/* A VOYAGE OF DISCOVERY to the PACIFIC OCEAN.*/
London, W. and A. Strahan, 1784. Complete four volume set of the first
edition.
¶ Although in the original boards, this set requires re-binding, as the
boards are detached (but present). The List of Plates, normally found in
volume I (pp. xci to xcvi), is included in the fourth volume. Volume I
is otherwise complete, and all seven maps on six plates (four folding),
and one folding plate, are present. Volume II contains all eleven maps
or views (six folding). Volume III contains an early worm hole to the
lower outside corner of the first few pages, not affecting text. All six
maps and plates are present (two folding), plus the folding table at the
end, but no advertising leaf. The fourth volume contains 61 spectacular
engravings of native people, places, and animals visited or seen by
Capt. Cook in what is now Hawaii (described as the Sandwich Islands),
Western British Columbia, Kamchatka and Alaska. Forty of the plates are
folding; 21 are large single-page plates. Volume IV begins with "The
List of Plates", and is numbered xci to xcvi (see above). Some of the
illustrations are quite foxed, most less so. This volume lacks three
charts (nos. I, VI and XXXVI). There is foxing (off-setting, really) on
the pages facing the plates and charts, and occasional marginal foxing
to the text, but the latter is hardly untoward. Overall, the contents
remain tightly-bound and in remarkably good condition. This set priced
with re-binding in mind, or we can arrange for it to be carried out
according to your desires. Beddie, Bibliography of Captain James Cook
1543, Streeter 3478. Sabin 16250, Howes 729a.

Price: $11,500

Terms of sale: The price is in USD. Payment by check, bank draft, or wire transfer. Postage and packing charge included if payment is made by check; at cost (quoted in advance) if payment by other means. Returnable (with prior notice) within seven days of receipt if found to be not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,
Winnipeg, MB R3M 0E3 Canada
Toll-free: 866-263-BOOK (2665)
Telephone: 204-488-2023
Web site: http://www.greenfieldbooks.com

Hours: - Wednesday through Saturday,10 to 5:30
       - Monday and Tuesday by appointment

PLEASE VISIT our booth at the upcoming Toronto International Antiquarian Book Fair, November 8,9,10, at the Art Gallery of Ontario, and at the Boston International Antiquarian Book Fair, Hynes Convention Center, November 15, 16, 17.