[Rarebooks] FS: Deep Discounts

Allington Books allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 10:43:01 EDT 2013

Greetings to All.

Below please find for your consideration two of the many deeply discounted
items from our current Sale List.

*Items on our Sale List* (found under "Browse Categories" on our Home Page)
are *discounted as there shown*.  *All other items* listed on our site are *40%
Off* through and including November 1, 2013.

With respect to the 40% Off items, we will change the price on our site
upon your request.  Alternatively, simply order the item and advise us that
you are a member of this list whereupon we will apply the discount when
processing your order.  (No charge is made to your card until we process
your order.)

*Payment is due with your order.*

*Mahfouz, Naguib. Arabian Nights & Days [Signed, Murray Gell-Mann's copy] *
*WAS $2,450.* New York: Doubleday, 1995. First edition. ISBN:
0-385-46888-1. PRESENTLY DISCOUNTED. WAS $2,450.     A Fine, Superior, copy
of the first American edition, first printing, in a Near Fine dust jacket,
SIGNED AND INSCRIBED BY NAGUIB MAHFOUZ on the half-title.  Originally
published in Arabic in 1979, the novel's title was inspired by the classic
"A Thousand and One Nights". Naguib Mahfouz "who, through works rich in
nuance - now clear-sightedly realistic, now evocatively ambiguous - has
formed an Arabian narrative art that applies to all mankind", won the 1988
Nobel Prize in Literature, making him the only Egyptian, and the only
author writing in Arabic, ever to win the Prize. In 1994 Mahfouz survived
an assassination attempt perpetrated by religious extremists. The attack
damaged nerves in his right hand, rendering Mahfouz unable to write for
more than a few minutes each day, and seriously affecting his handwriting
as seen in his inscription and signature to this book. (The inscription is
in Arabic.) Having a wonderful Provenance, this copy belonged to Murray
Gell-Mann, the American physicist and linguist who himself won the 1969
Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on the theory of elementary particles
and for his discovery of the quark, and carries his bookplate on the front
free endpaper. Signed copies of this Nobel Prize winner's books are scarce.
 A Fine, Superior, copy, of this this Nobel Laureate's work from the
library of another important Nobel Laureate. SIGNED AND INSCRIBED BY NAGUIB
MAHFOUZ. RARE. Fine in near fine dust-jacket. Hardcover. (#00003316) *
$725.00*

*O'Neill, Eugene G. The Emperor Jones, Diff'rent, the Straw [Signed]*   *WAS
$1,825.* New York: Boni and Liveright, 1921. First edition. PRESENTLY
DISCOUNTED. WAS $1,825.     A Very Good copy of the first edition, first
printing in the Publisher's original paper-covered boards (light handling
soil, spine head pushed, light edge wear, small cracks to paper at top
leading corner of the front board and bottom leading corner of the rear
board, lacking the scarce dust jacket), SIGNED BY EUGENE O'NEILL on the
half-title; a book containing 3 of Eugene O'Neill's plays, including his
breakthrough Play, "The Emperor Jones", which received great critical
acclaim, was his first major box office success, and launched his career.
First staged on November 1, 1920, the play features Brutus Jones, an
African-American who, after being imprisoned for murder, escapes from
prison and goes to a Caribbean island where he declares himself to be
Emperor. After its opening at the Playwright's Theatre in New York, the
work met with such success that it was relocated to a larger locale and
then, after finishing its run on Broadway, went on a nationwide tour. The
Play's London production, staged in 1924 and starring Paul Robeson as
Brutus Jones, earned Robeson excellent reviews and helped ignite his
career, leading in no small measure to his casting in the London production
of "Show Boat". O'Neill's works tend to feature tragedy and pessimism,
reflecting his own life. (His Father, Mother, and brother all died within a
3-year period. His two sons, Eugene, Jr. -- an alcoholic, and Shane -- a
heroin addict, each committed suicide, and O'Neill disowned his only
daughter, Oona when, at age 18, she married Charlie Chaplin, then 54.)
Thrice married, O'Neill divorced twice and his third wife became addicted
to potassium bromide, which addiction destroyed any marital bliss they had.
O'Neill himself suffered from alcoholism and depression. Dying in a
Sheraton Hotel in Boston, O'Neill's last words were said to be: "I knew it.
I knew it. Born in a hotel room, and God damn it, died in a hotel room."
O'Neill was remarkably successful for a man of his nature and life
experience, winning 3 Pulitzer Prizes: 1920 for "Beyond the Horizon", 1921
for "Anna Christie", and 1928 for "Strange Interlude", and the 1936 Nobel
Prize in Literature for "the power, honesty and deep-felt emotions of his
dramatic works, which embody an original concept of tragedy". As no
nominees for the 1936 Prize were deemed worthy of it, the Nobel Committee,
as it was then, but is no longer, permitted by its Statutes, elected to
reserve the Prize and to select a winner in 1937. O'Neill then was awarded
the 1936 Prize, which was presented to him in 1937.  A 775-copy signed
limited edition of "The Emperor Jones" (without the other two plays) was
published in 1928 and is readily obtainable, while signed copies of the
Play's true first edition, offered here, are remarkably scarce. A Very Good
copy of Eugene O'Neill's breakthrough Play, SIGNED BY EUGENE O'NEILL. QUITE
SCARCE. Very Good. Hardcover. (#00002851) *$600.00*

Best Wishes,

Stephen
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC

Stephen Johnson
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC
Rare and Collectible Books, both Antiquarian and Modern
www.allingtonbooks.com