[Rarebooks] fa: DESCRIPTION of an ARABIC QUADRANT 1860 - INSCRIBED - w/ 4 Folding Plates

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 23 13:32:05 EDT 2013

Listed now, along with other antiquarian science & mathematics, auction ending Sunday, September 29. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/m3opbap

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

William H. Morley: Description of an Arabic Calendar. London: Printed by Harrison and Sons, 1860. Pamphlet, 8vo (20.5 cm); 12 pp. + 4 folding plates. Disbound with remnant of earlier binding on the spine; light rubbing and dust-soiling to the title-page; plates with a few faint creases/dimples at the corners, one with a tiny closed tear at the fold; otherwise clean and fresh, leaves securely bound.

INSCRIBED on the title-page: "Edward B. Eastwick Esq.... with the writer's best regards." The author, William Morley, was librarian to the Royal Asiatic Society. He here describes a quadrant "purchased for me at Damascus a few years since, by my friend Dr. Sprenger." Morley's inscription is presumably addressed to Edward Backhouse Eastwick (1814-1883), noted Orientalist, author and diplomat, best known for his translations from Persian and Indian languages (see Encyclopaedia Iranica online).