[Rarebooks] FS: 1703 autograph letter beween Royal Academy members, 1703

karmbooks at aol.com karmbooks at aol.com
Mon Apr 21 14:04:23 EDT 2014

(AUTOGRAPH LETTERS) Copley, Sir Godfrey. Autograph letter, signed, dated London, 30th March, 1703 to Ralph Thoresby, the noted antiquary and topographer, and fellow member of the Royal Society. 2 pages (8-1/2" x 7"). Housed in a half morocco folding box.     $600.00 (trade discount allowed)
See the DNB for biographies of Copley and Thoresby (long article). Both men were engaged in the collection of antiquities. In this letter he mentions items which he will show Thoresby, an ancient urn, a piece of glass, and a "brake hook or hasp." He ends the letter in a curious way stating "I give you thanks for your acct. of ye fruitful woman. I will endeavor to make you a return of one that was as extra-ordinary or more in my opinion. I think she is in town if I mistake not." Could this reference London's ladies of pleasure? From the estate of Sir Godfrey Copley a new award in the sciences was started by the Royal Academy, "The Copley Medal" which is still being awarded today.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com