[Rarebooks] FS: Bodoni Boethius, 1798

Greg Powers powersrarebooks at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 06:05:20 EDT 2014

I can offer...

Boethius.  Anicii Manlii Torquati Severini Boethii De Consolatione Philosophiae Libri Quinque Ad Optimarum Editinoum Fidem Recensiti.  Parma: Ex Regio Typographeo, 1798.  4to, bound in contemporary full straight-grained crimson morocco, gilt lettered and discretely tooled on the spine, a.e.g.  cxvi, 271 pp.  The binding has some moderate scuffing; slight dustiness to the title-page and spotting to the colored endpapers; discrete ink inscription on the first blank; and there is an unwelcome dampstain that affects the outer margin of the last 70 or so pages, which is for the most part moderate, but which becomes fairly obtrusive for the final four leaves.  A very good, unsophisticated copy.

This handsome edition, printed by Bodoni, includes a long preface by Petrus Bertius (1565-1629) and a life of the author by Julianus Martianus Rota. “This is a very sumptuous edition, printed in the usual style of magnificence of those works which have issued from the Bodoni press” (Dibdin, I, 353).  An Italian translation of this Latin text was also issued later in 1798 by Bodoni. Brooks 724; Brunet I, 1037: "Belle edition."

$850 plus shipping

http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/BoethiusBdg.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/BoethiusTP.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/BoethiusPreface.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/BoethiusVita.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~powersrarebooks/BoethiusMildStain.jpg

Powers Rare Books
Greg Powers, proprietor
344 Orange Street
Manchester NH  03104
603-624-9707
powersrarebooks at comcast.net
Fine & rare books, prints, maps, ephemera, since 1996