[Rarebooks] FS: Trollope, RACHEL RAY, 1st One-Volume Ed, 1864

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Tue Feb 4 21:16:37 EST 2014

Offering:

TROLLOPE, Anthony.

RACHEL RAY. A Novel. With a Frontispiece by J.E. Millais, R.A.

Place Published: London
Publisher: Chapman & Hall, 193, Piccadilly.
Date Published: 1864.
Edition: First One-Volume Edition
Book Id: 308836

The so-called "Seventh Edition", so stated on the
title page; but presumably the second (and
definately the first one-volume) edition. Octavo,
original pebbled red cloth decorated in blind on
upper & lower covers, spine panel titled and
decorated in gilt, cream coated endpapers.
Frontispiece by Millais (here first published);
347 pp. Minor browning to preliminaries; three
W.H. Smith & Sons blindstamps on front & rear
free endpapers, small ownership ticket of
collector John Ruyle on front paste-down;
trifling bit of tanning to the spine and mild
wear at extremities; a very good clean copy with
solid hinges. Quite nice, overall.

Comments:

¶ Originally issued as a three-decker in 1863. It
is speculated that there was but one printing of
the three-volume edition, 3000 copies, split into
6 editions of 500 copies each with successive
edition statements on their title pages. See
Sadlier, Trollope Bibliography, item 17: "In my
own experience 'Rachel Ray' is as hard to find in
first edition as any other Trollope novel. I
suspect that Chapman and Hall, having produced
their 3,000 copies as per agreement, deliberately
split the total into six 'editions' of 500 copies
each; and, as the normal library demand for a new
Trollope novel would by this date have well
exceeded 500 copies, the 'first' and probably the
'second' edition also were at once engulfed [into
the Library marketplace]." In any case this is
the so-called Seventh Edition, which by anyone's
count is the first One-Volume edition, and the
first edition to bear the frontispiece by Millais.

RACHEL RAY is the story of a young woman who is
forced to give up her fiancé because of baseless
suspicions directed toward him by the members of
her community, including her sister and the
pastors of the two churches attended by her
sister and mother. The novel was originally
commissioned for Good Words, a popular magazine
directed at pious Protestant readers. However,
the magazine's editor, upon reading the galley
proofs, concluded that the negative portrayals of
the Low church and Evangelical characters would
anger and alienate much of his readership. The
novel was never published in serial form. [Wiki].

$250.00 Cdn Net Postpaid to the list

(My regular price is $450.00, and I just
catalogued this today, but I did find it in a
corner of the bookshop underneath a pile of comic
books, so I can give a nice discount)

Pictures can be found here:

http://www.thompsonrarebooks.com/shop/thompson/308836.html

Thanks for looking!

---
Michael John Thompson, Antiquarian Bookseller
Imladris
5275 Jerow Road
Hornby Island, BC
Canada V0R 1Z0