[Rarebooks] Daily Theodore Roosevelt Offering

Garry R Austin mail at austinsbooks.com
Wed Feb 12 13:30:43 EST 2014

2/12/14

Each day we offer a Theodore Roosevelt related item.

Theodore Roosevelt rose to the Presidency as the result of the assassination of William McKinley at Buffalo, NY, in 1901. He continued the themes of the McKinley Presidency and retained the Cabinet and calmed an anxious nation. It was his desire to be elected on his own merits and as it were, validated by the electorate for what he had accomplished as the steward of the fallen president's term, and what he hoped to accomplish on his own. This came to fruition in 1904. He received the Republican Party's nomination and a landslide plurality in the general election. Below are two printings of TR's speech accepting that nomination and his battle cry of progressivism and a "Square Deal" for all Americans.

We offer the following postpaid and net to all;

The Scarce Milwaukee Printing

Roosevelt Theodore.  President Roosevelt's Letter Of Acceptance. (Milwaukee: Allied Printing), 1904. 								$175.00
First edition; octavo; pp. 16; original self-wrappers, stapled; Very good;  Acceptance of the Republican presidential nomination. "We make our appeal to no class and no section, but to all good citizens, in whatever part of the land they dwell, and whatever may be their occupation or worldly condition." Quite a scarce printing. OCLC locates just two copies, Brooklyn Historical and Cornell University.

The New York Printing

Roosevelt Theodore.  President Roosevelt's Letter Of Acceptance. (New York: Allied Printing), 1904. 								 $50.00
First New York edition; octavo; pp. 32; original self-wrappers, stapled; Light soiling, very good; Acceptance of the Republican presidential nomination. "We make our appeal to no class and no section, but to all good citizens, in whatever part of the land they dwell, and whatever may be their occupation or worldly condition."

Garry R Austin
mail at austinsbooks.com
Austin's Antiquarian Books
PO Box 730