[Rarebooks] FS: UNPUBLISHED MANUSCRIPT about the Alaskan Gold Rush by the Buffalo Bill of American Literature

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Jul 9 10:18:30 EDT 2014

Fromour new catalog--SUMMER MISCELLANY 2014--which contains 127 select
items, all new arrivals, in a variety of fields. Highlights include the
scarce First Issue of Shakespeare's POEMS [1709] in a beautiful Cosway
binding; Thoreau's WORKS with a leaf of manuscript mentioning Walden
Pond; one of 25 special copies of the Gregynog Aesop; Louise Bryant's
acting copy of Eugene O'Neill's first book along with several John Reed
association copies; a long run of signed and limited Raymond Carver
titles; the first book of music by a Native American; several
ornithological works including Audubon's BIRDS OF AMERICA, Brisson's
ORNITHOLOGIE, Lewin's BIRDS OF GREAT BRITAIN, most with beautiful
hand-colored plates, and others; some scarce modern poetry and signed
presidential books; signed copies of Emerson's POEMS, Rachel Carson's
SILENT SPRING; and much more.

Here is a link to our illustrated pdf catalog on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/index.html?id=DLrIinxi&mv_pc=440

MILLER, Joaquin. UNPUBLISHED AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT: ALASKAN. "LET THERE
BE LIGHT" . First Edition. Folio (8-1/4" x 11-3/4") consisting of 53
pages numbered to 54 (one page contains two numbers) on lined yellow
paper with a few additions at the end on white paper pasted to the
yellow pages with a calligraphic title page facing a photographic
reproduction of Miller. Bound in 3/4 maroon morocco leather and marbled
boards housed in a slipcase of full burgundy morocco leather. Though
some of the phrases, such as the title, are used in other of Miller's
works, this long narrative poem appears to be unpublished. The poem
begins: "In the morning of the world;/Ere the holy stars were
born--/Early morning of the world;/O, that wondrous, wondrous morn!" We
have at this point not read much else because our lives are short and
Miller's handwriting is trying, but we are fairly confident that the
text deals at least in part with the Alaskan Gold Rush of the 1890s as
Miller visited the Klondike during that time returning to California
after six months, exhausted from his adventures, with thousands of
dollars of gold dust and $6,000 from a publisher for his Alaskan
letters. Fine and rare, beautifully bound.

The "Poet of the Sierras," also known as the Buffalo Bill of American
literature, Miller was indeed one of the more colorful authors of the
late 19th century, known for fabricating many features of life. While
still a boy he headed from Oregon to California during the early gold
rush where he worked in a number of mining camps. He survived several
battles with Indians as well as several altercations with the law. He
earned his keep mostly from mining and the Pony Express before his
writing sustained him. (#017375)        $25,000.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/017375.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com