[Rarebooks] F/S 1830's Ms Missionary's Letters from Trebizond & Constantinople

Garry R Austin mail at austinsbooks.com
Tue Mar 25 17:13:29 EDT 2014

We offer the the following postpaid and net to all @ $225.00

Missionary's Letter From Trebizond
1837

Jackson, William J. Stampless Cover. Autographed letter, signed, (Als).Trebizond, May 30, 1837.  Four pages to Andrew Mark, Esq. of Gilmanton NH. Jackson is answering previous letters from the recipient and thanking Mark for sending pamphlets. Jackson reports "the missionary cause has encountered opposition and trials that have never been suffered by it before"... "increasing the prejudices and fears of the people respecting us". They had opened a school for "Greeks" but the authorities have closed it down. They are working among Americans. As to the natives; "We believe that by our agency, four minds have been in some degree enlightened and the tendency of our residence here is to help to raise the people out of their semi-barbarous ignorant superstitious, degraded character, and condition."
Jackson has attended a profitable annual meeting of Missionaries in Turkey, North of Syria at Constantinople, much work was done there.  They have decided to establish a new station at a city, "Emiroom" sic, 200 miles to the north. Jackson has traveled there over roads that were challenging to say the least, "with sure footed horses.." He describes the area and the population. "It is a central place I judge it an important station, and I recommend negotiating for a house. But hearing of sickness in my family I left the business unfinished, (as all such things in this country require a deal of talking, and waiting, and the exercise of patience, the idea of dispatch, with difficulty entering the mind of any native, I left the business with instructions in the hands of the English Consul who kindly offered to assist me,  so that I hope soon to hear that the house has been obtained."
" I intend to move my family there this summer and I hope the Lord will go with us and that we may be instrumental in lighting up such a fire among the mountains of Armenia as shall never be extinguished".

Missionary's Letter From Constantinople
1838
Mary ???. Stampless Cover. Autographed letter, signed, (Als). Constantinople, October 16, 1838.  Three pages with integral address leaf to Miss Amelia Reynolds, of New Haven, Ct. Care of Rom Stebbins, Esq. Amelia appears to be her sister. She writes that she hasn't received any letters from Amelia in some time. She relays family information and asks about their parents at home in Connecticut. Mary mentions reports from Ceylon that are encouraging. She instruct her sister to do good. She mentions other missionaries and spiritual matters. "It is very pleasant to hear still good news from Odessa. The Lord has many people in and about that city without doubt".
 "It is remarkable that we have had no plague this year. We have a great deal of company. There are now steamboats running in all directions from Constantinople, to Russia, Smyrna,  Egypt, Syria, France, Italy, etc. etc. and these lines touch  at all the important places in the Levant, so that communication has become very easy, travelers improve it, we have people from all parts of the world, a missionary's house is a sort of hotel.."
An interesting and heart-felt letter.

Both pieces are very good.

Garry R Austin
mail at austinsbooks.com