[Rarebooks] FS: 1877 NH Civil War Regiment Reunion Letter

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue May 27 07:51:54 EDT 2014

Handwritten Letter Inviting N.H. General Joab N. Patterson to an 1877
New Hampshire 12th Regiment Reunion -

DISCUSSION: "Bristol, N.H. Aug 25 1877 - Gen J.N. Patterson: Dear Sir:-
The Executive Committee of the 12th Regt takes pleasure in forwarding to
you the enclosed invitation to attend the reunion of that Regt in this
place on the 7th of Sept. We hope most earnestly, that your duties will
be such that you will be able to accept this invitation and be present
with us. Be assured that it will afford the officers and men of this
Regt much pleasure to welcome you at that time. Very Truly Yours
(signed) H.B. Fowler, Prvt."

"The 12th New Hampshire Infantry was organized in Concord, New Hampshire
and mustered in for a three year enlistment on September 10, 1862 under
the command of Colonel Joseph Haydn Potter. The 12th New Hampshire
Infantry mustered out of service June 21, 1865. It took part in the
Battle of Fredericksburg, Burnside's 2nd Campaign ("Mud March"), Battle
of Chancellorsville, Battle of Gettysburg, Battle of Drewry's Bluff,
Battle of Cold Harbor, Siege of Petersburg and Richmond. The regiment
lost a total of 320 men during service; 11 officers and 170 enlisted men
killed or mortally wounded, 1 officer and 138 enlisted men died of
disease."

The University of New Hampshire Library, which holds his papers- notes:
"Joab Nelson Patterson was born in Hopkinton, NH on January 2, 1835. He
was employed as a teacher in New Hampshire and Massachusetts prior to
his graduation from Dartmouth in 1860. In 1861, Patterson opened a
recruiting office in Contoocook and raised a company of men for service
in the Civil War. He enlisted himself and was commissioned First
Lieutenant of Company H, 2nd Regiment New Hampshire Volunteers. He was
promoted captain in May 1862 and the following year was wounded at the
Battle of Gettysburg. Patterson rose to the rank of colonel before the
end of the war. He was appointed Brevet Brigadier General of U.S.
Volunteers prior to being mustered out in December 1865. Joab Patterson
served also in the Spanish-American War and was influential in the Grand
Army of the Republic (G.A.R.). He was elected to the New Hampshire House
of Representatives in 1866 and served as U.S. Marshal for the state from
1867 to 1886. He served as Second Auditor of the U.S. Treasury from 1889
to 1893. General Patterson died at his home in Concord, N.H. on July 19,
1923."

DESCRIPTION & CONDITION NOTES: Single sheet. 8"x10". Minor soil, folded,
slight loss along one fold.

PRICE: $60 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40218-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40218-cover2.jpg>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.