[Rarebooks] FS: Portland, Maine - Elsworth account book, 1838

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 09:50:37 EDT 2014

Elsworth, Nathaniel W. JOURNAL: Handwritten account book, Portland (Maine),
January 4-June 30, 1838: "Inventory of my Effects, viz. Cash on Deposit in
City Bank, 20,000.00. Merchandise invoice book, 10,000.00. Farm of 100
acres in Kings County, 12,000.00. Due me on Notes per Bill Book, 5,000.00.
Thomas Milner owes me on account, 2,000.00. John Import owes me on account,
1,000.00." Original manuscript. In a light, very legible hand, Elsworth
goes on to detail his debits and credits in cash and merchandise, filling
39 pages in this folio journal. Included are many local names and
interesting entries, including: Nathan Swain, London; T. Kingsley; John
KIngston; William Prince; [bought from] "Capt. Champlin, Ship Ocean for
10,000"; "Shipped by the Brig Minerva, Howland [captain], and consigned to
J. Wilkinson, Liverpool"; "Shipped by the Venus, Ware [captain], &
consigned to J. Wilson, Dublin; "Received by the Ship America, Johnson";
"Paid for repairs of the Ship Ocean"; "Shipped by the Criterion, Messenger,
for London"; "Received by the Ship Nimrod, Waters, from London"; William
James; Francis Clinton; " Sold for cash to John Jacob Astor 190 shares
United States Bank"; James Kane; Henry Shaw; "500 gallons Cognac Brandy";
"Shipping by the Virtue, Camp, and consigned to N. Swain, London"; "Shipped
by the Ocean, King, for Cadiz"; "Received by the Ship Rambler, Crown, from
London...Madeira Wine"; "Found in Fulton Street a pocket book containing
$230 in bank bills which I advertise but the owner has not appeared";
"Shipped by the Monkey for Baltimore...102 pipes [casks] wine"; "The Ship
Pacific in which I insured an acct of N.Swain, London, $6,150 is with cargo
lost";  "J. Wilkinson advises me per letter of 28th April that the Rover in
which he shipped J. Wilson on account CoB 20 water cut glass is lost & no
insurance effected"; Richard Pennell; Charles Libby; B. Cummings; "Bought
of Capt. Churchill the Ship North America"; "Shipped by the Minerva,
Howland & consigned J. Wilkinson"; Frederick Swift; "Received by the
Science from London a quantity of Dry Goods; "Received from Capt. Churchill
for freight on my ship N. America; &c., &c. Bound in marbled paper over
card covers, cloth spine. 13.25" x 8.25" Laid in are two half-page
statements dated Portland, Oct. 1820, regarding notes between N. Elsworth
and N.W. Elsworth. Very Good. Cloth-backed flexible boards.
Nathaniel W. Elsworth operated Nathaniel Elsworth & Son, a crockery shop,
at 118 Middle St., Portland. He retired about 1870. He and his wife, Lydia
D., had three children. (Courtesy of Pejebscot Historical Society). In this
ledger, we see Elsworth importing and exporting wines and brandy among
other goods, via his own ship Ocean and other vessels.  $250.00

Terms:  Check, money order, PayPal, or credit card in US funds.

*Reciprocal trade discount.  Price includes domestic shipping.Shipments
abroad at cost.   Returns accepted within 10 days of receipt if found to be
other than as described.*

      R & A  Petrilla
Booksellers & Appraisers
          PO Box 306