[Rarebooks] Ernst Mayr archive of 30 letters to Arthur J. Cain and Ernst Caspari

info at robinsonstreetbooks.com info at robinsonstreetbooks.com
Sat Sep 6 14:26:26 EDT 2014

Today we offer for your consideration:

Archive of letters from Ernst Mayr to Ernst Caspari (University of
Rochester) and Arthur J. Cain (University of Liverpool)

30 letters both ALS and TLS some 1 page, others 2 or more pages. from
Ernst Mayr to Ernst Casperi (University of Rochester) and Arthur J. Cain
(University of Liverpool). Cain mostly attached his return letters, in
photocopy, some several pages long.

Some content: From Mayr to Cain: "thanking you for your reprints,
particularly the analysis of Bauhin's Pinax. It is certainly important
for the history of taxonomic methods to have a perceptive analysis of
the forerunners of Linnaeus. Of course every time I deal with Linnaeus I
am impressed how strongly his approach is dominated by the principles of
logic"

Letter dated 16 Dec. 1993 with enclosures:  "As far as Maniola is
concerned, the enclosed copy of my letter to Turner will tell you what
is involved.  In his presentation of the case Ford did not make nearly
as careful an analysis as he should have and instead distinguished
rather sweepingly a western and an eastern type. I am sure someone will
make a more careful study in the near future. I am also enclosing a copy
of the Gmelin speech as well as a draft copy of my paper on Scientific
Revolutions......The amount of interesting papers being published these
days is enormous. What pleases me is that they all support the Darwinian
paradigm.  No matter how much certain people try to claim otherwise,
this is demonstrably true."

another letter "This is why Mendel was so frustrated in his later work,
when he tried to apply the rules of his
pea crosses to species crosses "Aren't they all hybrids?". Letters dated
in the 1990s. "Locke's species concept was rather similar to one
defended by Mill and now usually referred to as his "nature kind"
concept."

To From Ernst Mayr to Ernst Casperi he writes: "When one compares the
writings of contemporary embryologists and evolutionists of that period
one realizes how completely different the conceptual framework of the
two groups were. It is particularly clear whenever the embryologists
criticize the thinking of the evolutionists. This is evident not only in
the writings of Spemann but also from Boveri's famous speech when he was
rector of Wurzburg University... I am planning to write this spring a
paper with the title with the title of "Richard's Goldschmidt's
Unanswered Questions. It is usually ignored that Goldschmidt in his 1940
book raises quite a few
problems which the reductionists "beanbag" geneticists are quite unable
to answer."

Ernst Mayr letter to Caspari dated 1986, mostly chatty about wife,
grand-children "I presume you are please about Rita Levi-Montalcini got
the Nobel Prize. All her early research was done with Viktor Hamburger.
If he had continued this line of research, I presume he would have
shared in the honor! But he got interested in other things."

Included in the archive: Offprint: Systems of Ordering Data reprint from
Biology and Philosophy, 1995. Author's Proof: Systems of Ordering Data.
Photocopy of Disciplining Evolutionary Biology: Ernst Mayr.. by
Vassiliki Betty Smocovitis Feb. 1994. at dedication Ernst Mayr
has added " For Arthur with best wishes! Ernst" in ink.

Ernst Mayr to Caspari letters mostly 1980s. 12 als mostly one sheet
front and back. 1 tls 2 pages.

Ernst Mayr to A. J. Cain letters mostly 1990s. Note card signed, 10 als
mostly 1 sheet two sides. 6 tls.

Lots of science content in these letters.  Ernst Mayr was awarded the
1999 Crafoord Prize. He is considered one of the leading Evolutionary
Biologists of the 20th Century. Has been called the Darwin of the
Twentieth Century.

                                    $7500.00

On our site PDF copies of our 3 recent catalogs.  Items mostly from our
acquisition of the History of Science collection from William B.
Provine.
A few thousand offprints cataloged from the 1860s-1920s, from the
offprint collections of Theodor Boveri, Edmund B. Wilson, Carl Correns,
and others.  More papers from: Sewall Wright, A. J. Cain, Ernst Caspari.

http://robinsonstreetbooks.com

All offers are subject to prior sale. Postpaid USA. At cost worldwide.
Payment accepted: All major credit cards, Paypal, Checks, most forms of
payment accepted. Institution billing procedures followed. All shipments
within NYS 8% sales tax collected, unless exempt. Returnable within 14
days if not as described. All autographs are guaranteed authentic and if
found otherwise may be returned for full refund by original purchaser
without time limit.

 Rhett Moran

 Robinson Street Books, IOBA
 184 Robinson Street
 Binghamton, NY 13904
 Voice 607-217-4328
 Fax 845-746-4237
 info at robinsonstreetbooks.com

 Mon-Fri 10am-5pm (eastern) Sat, Sun and Holidays by chance.
 Open to The Trade only by appointment.

 http://robinsonstreetbooks.com

 Our warehouse contains over 500,000 books. 100,000 are cataloged for
 on-line sales. Want lists welcome.

Members of the Independent Online Booksellers Association,
and Manuscript Society.

 Specialties include:History of Science, Genetics, Darwinism. Psychology
 and Psychiatry, Modern First Editions, art and photography,autographs &
 manuscripts. We are always open to offers of single titles or
 collections in our specialties.