[Rarebooks] FS: Dickens. American Notes (1842)

William Van Nest trilliumbooks at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 3 12:59:34 EDT 2015

We are pleased to offer the apparent first U. S. edition (there are two sides to the story) of Dickens’ observations arising from his visit in 1842 to North American:

Charles Dickens. American Notes for General Circulation. New-York: Harper & Brothers, 1842. First edition ([4], 92, adverts), tall octavo in brown soft wraps with ‘Price One Shilling’ and black decoration on front cover. It seems there was something of a race to publish Notes for American readers, some of whom were offended by Dickens’ remarks on the persistence of slavery in the United States, the piratical practices of American publishers, and the sometimes grasping crudities of Americans’ conduct in general.  Dickens’ journey (22 January- 7 June 1842) began in  New England and took him down to Richmond and on out to Cincinnati and St. Louis in the west.  Of his experience he said, ‘This is not the republic I came to see; this is not the republic of my imagination.’ Dickens crossed into Canada at Niagara, travelling on to Toronto, Kingston, Montreal, and Quebec and found the country and its citizens almost wholly laudable.  Inside the back cover is Harper’s advert for the forthcoming publication of Stephens’ Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, dated November 2, 1842, which is understood to have some bearing on the question which came first, this soft-cover Harper & Bros. publication or an edition in newspaper format, both of which were rushed to an eager public. Skilful restoration to the front cover, a few foxed pages. Very good.  350 USD

Images

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1x2uuzrvjdyv5c/1106_87b47d8d39b7bec434b4b5169d137a87.jpg?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1x2uuzrvjdyv5c/1106_87b47d8d39b7bec434b4b5169d137a87.jpg?dl=0>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/55kx9atyr704phv/1106_b4d257c03828693984fd8be41663033a.jpg?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/55kx9atyr704phv/1106_b4d257c03828693984fd8be41663033a.jpg?dl=0>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6oejquikmol95d/1106_18552f10ac4c9a2f80fa4f0a267edb61.jpg?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6oejquikmol95d/1106_18552f10ac4c9a2f80fa4f0a267edb61.jpg?dl=0>

Terms of Sale
Trillium's books are offered subject to prior sale. Books are unconditionally guaranteed and may be returned with prior notice for any reason within 15 days of receipt for full refund, including return shipping. Prices are in U. S. Dollars. We accept payment in U. S. Dollars, Canadian Dollars, Pounds Sterling, and Euros at the current rate of exchange.  Shipping is billed separately. Insurance is paid by Trillium Antiquarian Books on every item we ship. Payment can be made by cash, cheque, money order, or wire transfer. Payment by credit card can be made using PayPal (www.paypal.com <http://www.paypal.com/>). Institutions can be invoiced. Ordinarily we ship orders within one or two business days of receipt of payment.  We make a point of re-using boxes and packing materials. If you require new materials for shipping (say, for a present), please let us know, and we will be pleased to pack and ship your purchase accordingly.

Best wishes,

William Van Nest

Trillium Antiquarian Books, IOBA
1285 Albertus Avenue