[Rarebooks] FS: 1872 Edition- American Grainer Hand-Book

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Aug 11 08:34:34 EDT 2015

“The American Grainers' Hand-Book: A Popular and Practical Treatise on
the art of Imitating Colored and Fancy Woods; with Examples and
Illustrations, both in oil and distemper”

Published in New York by John W. Masury & Son in 1872.

A complete guide to the art of grain painting to imitate fine wood- and
the authors make clear that this is indeed, if not a fine art, a skilled
craft, and not something that the novice can attain great skill at
quickly (a fact that makes books like this all the more important). The
text discusses methods and materials, and there is an extensive
advertising section at the end, mostly devoted to suppliers. John Wesley
Masury [1820-1895] was a pioneer in the field of the manufacture and
sale of ready-made paints, and he pioneered the retail sale of paints in
cans with removable metal tops. The original edition of this title is
very scarce in the marketplace.

Hardcover. 6.25"x8.75", 109 pages with 2 plates of tools and 14 colored
grain plates, plus 21 pages of advertisements. Original publisher's red
cloth with gilt titles- covers pretty beat, with cloth fading and soil,
and gutter corrosion, and spine damage. Contents with light soil and
some plate shadowing, and one striking shadow image of a tree leaf, but
otherwise tight and clean inside.  $750

Some pictures = >
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page6.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page7.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page8.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images417/th-41953-page9.jpg>

  - - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog355.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.