[Rarebooks] FS: Davis(ville), California Farming Photos + Rhode Island Photos

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:28:09 EST 2015

California, Davis(ville). PHOTOGRAPHIC ARCHIVE OF THE TRAFTON-CRANE
FAMILIES OF RHODE ISLAND, SOME OF WHOM EMIGRATED TO CALIFORNIA AND BECAME
AGRICULTURISTS IN THE EARLY 1870s [our title]. Original photographs. The
archive begins with a letter from Alice E. Crane, datelined Davisville,
Cal., May 20th, 1875: 1-1/2pp, ALS, written in light ink, addressed to her
sister, Emma. ~~ Following the letter are 36 original, vernacular
photographs (most 3.5" x 5", a few larger, a few smaller). Nearly all are
identified on the versos by contemporary hands. Topics include: panoramic
view of the valley; cherry growing (Mexican pickers working at $10 a ton,
sorting cherries, packing, &c.); G.G. Crane & wife under orange tree, under
lemon tree, &c.; beekeeping (Cranes with their hives, extracting honey,
trays enroute from smudge boxes, &c.); various group portraits, one
including two young men in "Sharon" baseball uniforms; kids in a jalopy;
woman rowing a boat; Clarence Trafton and other Trafton-family members; man
fixing an early automobile at the side of a road, a well-dressed woman
looking on; photogravure of W.A. Trafton, the second mayor of Watsonville
(Santa Cruz County); etc. The above photographs are housed in 3-ring
photo-sleeves. ~~ In addition: 13 cabinet-card photographs of
Trafton-family members + 9 cabinet cards and smaller photos of unidentified
members of the Crane or Trafton families.  Very Good.
Alice Crane's letter is quoted in part: "...We are going up to the
Wolfskill Ranch this morning [now the home of UCal's Wolfskill Experimental
Orchard]....I have sent for my instrument and when it comes you will come
up and stay with us. You will not go home by water. I know that if you had
been on that day we came up here you would get enough of the water. It was
very rough all the way....I have had such lots of cherries since I came
back. Yesterday I went down where they were picking and packing. They lay
the bottom of each box in rowes, that is lay the cherries in eaven. I layed
two boxes....Write soon direct to Davisville...." $650.00

Postpaid.  Reciprocal discount for booksellers.

Thanks for looking,

Bob

      R & A  Petrilla
Booksellers & Appraisers