[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Framed Handwritten Quote by William Wordsworth

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Nov 11 12:40:24 EST 2015

One of the many fine items we will have in our booth (525) at the Boston
Antiquarian Book Fair this weekend at the Hynes Convention Center on
Boylston St.

WORDSWORTH, William. AUTOGRAPH QUOTATION SIGNED (AQS). A one-page (8" x
10") lengthy AUTOGRAPH QUOTATION SIGNED by Wordsworth from a poem by
Fulke Greville (Lord Brooke), a contemporary and friend of poet Philip
Sidney. In full:

"The chief use, then in Man of that he knows
Is his painstaking for the good of all;
Not fleshly weeping for our own made woes,
Not laughing from a melancholy gall,
Not hating from a Soul that overflows
In bitterness, breathed forth from inward thrall;
But sweetly rather to ease, loose, or bind,
As need requires, this frail, fallen human kind.
Lord Brooke./Peter House July 5th 1815/Wm Wordsworth."
It is clear why Wordsworth might have chosen these words of
Brooke's--"Man's Service" from A TREATISE OF HUMANE LEARNING--to write
as the two shared the notion that while knowledge might bring happiness,
it also increases susceptibility to suffering and self-torment. Matted
and framed with an engraved portrait of Wordsworth to an overall size of
22" x 18". Not examined out of the frame but appears to be Fine.

Fulke Greville (1554-1628) was a close friend of Sir Philip Sidney and a
great patron of letters. Most of his works were not published until
after his murder by a servant who thought he had been omitted from his
master’s will. Some believe Greville is the true author of several plays
attributed to William Shakespeare. (#015523) $4,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/015523.html?id=kgYIuzFh

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com