[Rarebooks] fa: THE CRIES OF YORK for the AMUSEMENT OF CHILDREN ca. 1811 (Street vendors/Woodcuts)

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 9 09:45:22 EDT 2015

Listed now, auctions ending Sunday, September 13. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/oh87wm3

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

The Cries of York. (In two Parts.) For the Amusement of Young Children. (Part I.) Decorated with Cuts from Life. York: Printed by J. Kendrew, Collier-gate, [ca. 1811?]. Small 12mo (12 cm) in early/original plain wraps; woodcut illustrations; 15 pp. (including the frontispiece).

Part I only, but we can find no listings in OCLC to indicate that a separate Part II was ever published. A collection of thirteen charming depictions of street vendors and their locales, accompanied by their cries: Cockles, Alive, alive O; Ripe Goosberries; Buy my windmills a halfpenny a piece; Kidney Potatoes; Oysters! Sweet China Oranges; Razors-Knives and Scissors to Grind; Buy my fine Larks; etc. Light staining to the wraps, mild toning to the leaves, earlier bookdealer's penciled notation to the title-page, otherwise clean and sound, securely bound. The first leaf and last leaf are affixed to the inside of the wraps, as in other copies found in OCLC. Quite uncommon.