[Rarebooks] FS: Margaret Mitchell Letter on GONE WITH THE WIND, movie and book, price reduced

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Jun 14 10:58:00 EDT 2016

Price reduced to $2000 NET.  I'm not in my office today, so please respond by email only.

MITCHELL, Margaret. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Atlanta, GA, 7 December
1937. Fine 3-1/4-page letter of @750 words on Mitchell's stationery with
several manuscript corrections and seven words added in her hand. To
Herschel Brickell, a noted book reviewer from Mississippi who served on
the New York Herald Tribune book section and who was a reviewer for the
New York Evening Post at the time of this correspondence. Mitchell
discusses travel plans, visits, and preparations for the movie
production of GONE WITH THE WIND: "Several days after I wrote you a
story appeared in a New York paper that the actress, Gladys Hansen,
Atlanta-born, now a dramatic coach, had been engaged by Selznick to
coach Southern accents." Mitchell comments on the choice of Lenore Ulric
to play Belle: "I wondered sadly where the blowzy, common, good-hearted
Belle had gone." Mitchell writes a paragraph about her hat, "the giddy
and idiotic headgear I am nervously trying to balance on my head,"
before commenting on her book and its effect on her life: "GWTW is
quieting in New York, if I may judge from the best seller list where I
am now in twelfth place.... I'm tired of avoiding autograph hunters,
people who want me to make speeches, candid cameramen and reporters who
want to know very peculiar things which really are none of their
business." Much more. SIGNED "M" by Mitchell. All the letters to
Brickell we have seen were signed by Mitchell as "Margaret" or "M," an
indication of the close relationship she had with him. Not in Harwell's
MARGARET MITCHELL'S "GONE WITH THE WIND" LETTERS, though many others to
Brickell are. Normal creases from mailing, otherwise Fine. (#001498)
     $3,500.00

www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/001498.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com