[Rarebooks] FS: Perfidy Detected!

info at johnhowellforbooks.com info at johnhowellforbooks.com
Thu Mar 10 09:39:55 EST 2016

Offered today:

A great little nineteenth-century chapbook for children.

JOHNSON, RICHARD (1733 or 4 - 1793).

_Perfidy Detected! or, The Children in the Wood Restored, by Honestas,
the Hermit of the Forest: Who were Supposed to have been either Murdered
or Starved to Death, by Order of Their Inhuman Uncle, Being The
Continuation of the History of the Children in the Wood_.

Banbury: Printed and Sold by J. G. Rusher, n. d. [but circa 1835].

Chapbook. 4 1/2 x 2 7/8 inches. (20) pp. 12 woodcuts (counting the 3
cuts on the wrappers and the frontispiece), ads for Rusher's other
publications inside the wraps; text clean, unmarked. Self-wraps,
stitched; binding square and tight, some light dog-earring to covers and
tiny tears to edges of leaves that extend beyond the wraps. Very Good.

$ 150

FIRST EDITION, thus. _The Children in the Wood_ was in print in England
from the sixteenth century, and was a traditional fairy tale in which
the children die of starvation in the original version. This edition,
one of many published by J. G. Rusher, bears the influence of the
anti-fairy tale campaign of Sarah Trimmer (1741-1810), so that the text
was changed to reunite the children with their father and Honestas is
rewarded with his old farm restored to him and Honestas finds his own
children alive. Its publication date is not certain, but is estimated
between 1820 and 1835. John Golby Rusher (1784-1877) was a leading
producer of chapbooks. The Rusher publishing house (John succeeded his
father William (1759-1849) was active from 1812 to 1874. REFERENCES:
_Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books_, Vol. I, p. 269.

Reply directly to me or visit my website:
http://www.johnhowellforbooks.com/si/IY915-226.html

TERMS OF SALE: Offered subject to prior sale. Payment with order. Trade
courtesy allowed. Institutions may be billed. Can accept check, PayPal,
or credit cards. Guaranteed as described. Returns accepted for any
reason within ten days of receipt; please notify me of your intentions
before returning. $6.00 domestic priority mail insured. International
orders shipped and insured at cost.

John Howell, ABAA, ILAB, IOBA

jnhowellforbooks at icloud.com

310 367-9720