[Rarebooks] FS: Hanway, British Trade over Caspian Sea, 1754

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:28:18 EDT 2016

Hanway, Jonas. AN HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE BRITISH TRADE OVER THE CASPIAN
SEA: With the Author's Journal of Travels from England through Russia; and
back through Russia, Germany and Holland. To which are added the
Revolutions of Persia during the present century, with the particular
history of the great usurper Nadir Koull. Illustrated with Maps and
Copper-plates. The Second Edition, Revised & Corrected. In Two Volumes.
London: Printed for T. Osborne, D. Brown [etc.], 1754. Second Edition,
Revised. Two volumes. pp: xxvii, 460, (8) index; 31 engravings (8 folding
maps, 15 views, 8 portraits) + pp: xx, 460, (14) index, (4) Explanation of
Foreign Words, (2) publisher's ads; 10 engravings (1 folding map, 8 views,
1 portrait): both volumes complete with all illustrations. Bound in period
calf, raised bands, leather labels, gilt-tooled spine panels and dentelles.
marbled endpapers; joints cracked and holding on Vol. I, intact on Vol. II.
Very light foxing to some engravings, otherwise clean and tight. 11" x 8.5"
Very Good.
Presentation inscription in top margin of frontispiece, Vol. I: "To the
Right Hon. Lord Beauchamp / With the Author's most sincere wishes for his
Lordship's future Renown / and most devout prayer for his happiness." Both
volumes have the engraved, armorial bookplate of Ragley Hall, the family
seat in Warwickshire (one bookplate in Vol. I, and two in Vol. II).
  $2,500.00

Trade discount 20%, postpaid in US

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Antiquarian Booksellers                     PO Box 306
   Roosevelt, NJ 08555                   (609) 426-4999
<%28609%29%20426-4999>*

*      Member:  ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*