[Rarebooks] FS: Where's Waldo? 1882 Ralph Waldo Emerson Memorial

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Aug 4 06:53:35 EDT 2017

Ireland, Alexander.  "In Memoriam. Ralph Waldo Emerson: Recollections of
His Visits to England in 1833, 1847-8, 1872-3, and extracts from
unpublished letters"

Published in London by Simpkin, Marshall, & Co., in 1882.

An important series of somewhat overawed reminisces and recollections
from one of Emerson’s lifelong friends. The book was based in part on a
piece Ireland wrote for the Manchester Examiner on April 29, 1882, the
day after news of Emerson’s death reached England. It was later
reissued, with many additions, as “Ralph Waldo Emerson: His Life,
Genius, and Writings”. Alexander Ireland [1810-1894] was a Scottish
newspaper publisher, author and bibliophile who became acquainted with
the Sage of Concord during Emerson’s first visit to England in 1832. It
was during that visit that Emerson also met William Wordsworth, Samuel
Taylor Coleridge, Thomas Carlyle and other literary notables. Ireland
persuaded Emerson to return to England in 1847 for a lecture tour which
he arranged. Ireland is also remembered for his book, “The Book-Lover's
Enchiridion”, which was also published in 1882 under the pseudonym of
"Philobiblos”.

Hardcover. 5.75”x8.75”, 120 pages. Publisher’s light blue cloth with
black titles, black endpapers. Covers with some light wear and soil. A
little internal spotting.  [430/43036]  $125

Pictures ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43036-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43036-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43036-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43036-page2.jpg>

http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://joslinhall.com/mailman/listinfo/jhrbnews_joslinhall.com

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.