[Rarebooks] FS: 1913 Loeb Collection of Ancient Bronzes & Statuary

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sun Jun 11 13:24:00 EDT 2017

“Die Bronzen der Sammlung Loeb”

By Johannes Sieveking. Published in Munich in 1913.

An elegantly produced catalog of ancient Roman, Hellenistic, Etruscan
and Egyptian bronze mirrors, figures, busts, and other artifacts owned
by noted collector and philanthropist James Loeb.

Loeb [1867-1933] retired early from the family business and spent the
rest of his life traveling, collecting, and doing good things with his
money. He founded the Loeb Classical Library at Harvard, became a
trustee at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, and
helped found what would become the Julliard School in New York. The
bronzes illustrated in this catalog, along with this ancient pottery,
were eventually given to the Staatliche Antikensammlungen in Munich.
Loeb explained his philanthropy by writing- "In an age when the
Humanities are being neglected more perhaps than at any time since the
Middle Ages, and when men's minds are turning more than ever before to
the practical and the material, it does not suffice to make pleas,
however eloquent and convincing, for the safeguarding and further
enjoyment of our greatest heritage from the past. Means must be found to
place these treasures within the reach of all who care for the finer
things of life."

Hardcover. 9"x12", 86 pages of text with 12 collotype illustrations in
the text and 46 gravure plates; printed on a fine, heavy cream stock;
original parchment covers. Spine soiled, boards lightly soiled; spine
label perished, minor internal soil.  $75 net.

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page6.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page7.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page8.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page9.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page10.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page11.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39114-page12.jpg>

  - - - -

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.