[Rarebooks] FS: Chinese Play, inscribed to John Drinkwater

Bob Petrilla petrillabooks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 07:44:09 EDT 2017

Hsiung, S.I.  LADY PRECIOUS STREAM: An Old Chinese Play Done into English
According To Its Original Style.  With a Preface by Lascelles Abercrombie.
London: Methuen, (1934). First Edition.  pp: xix, 168, (1); three color
plates tipped to heavy stock, 12 monotone plates.  Bound in blue cloth,
gilt cover and spine titles in Chinese and English, top edges gilt. 7.5" x
5.25".  Very Good condition.

John Drinkwater's copy, with his gilt bookplate on the pastedown, and a
presentation inscription on the free endpaper: "With Compliments &
Admiration to / Mr. John Drinkwater / the Great Poet, the Celebrated /
Dramatist, the Illustrious Actor / and the Excellent Father. / from / His
unworthy follower, but sincere friend, / S.I. Hsiung. Malvern / July 27th,
1934."  Inside the back cover, Drinkwater has noted in pencil, "Read
London, July 24, 1937. I had seen the play in N.Y."
Also on the front pastedown is the engraved bookplate of Montgomery Evans
II, designed by S.H. Sime.  [Evans (1919-1952), born at Norristown,
Pennsylvania, was an aristocratic lawyer and book collector, known for his
eager associations with literary figures of the day.]   $1,200

Postpaid in US.  Usual trade terms.

    *  R & A  Petrilla*

*          Antiquarian Booksellers                     PO Box 306
   Roosevelt, NJ 08555*

*           bob at petrillabooks.com <%28609%29%20426-4999>**        Member:
 ABAA, ILAB, IOBA*

*​ *