[Rarebooks] FS: One of the great bibliographies of erotica, etc. 6 vols. Turin & London: 1871-73. 1/100 Large Paper sets Finely Bound.

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 16:05:39 EDT 2017

[Gay, Jules]. BIBLIOGRAPHIE DES OUVRAGES RELATIFS A L'AMOUR, AUX FEMMES, AU MARIAGE, et des Livres Facetieux... par M. Le C. D'I***. 3me Edition, Entirement Refondus et Considerablement Augmentee. Turin and London: J. Gay et Fils and Bernard Quaritch. 1871-1873. 4to. 6 volumes. The Special "Tirage sur Grand Papier" of 100 numbered sets. Finely bound in 3/4 blue crushed morocco over marbled boards, ornately gilt spines, the top section with a gilt figure of a satyr. Half-titles preserved. Uncut. T.e.g. Some light minor rubbing to spines, but a beautiful set.    $850.00 (trade discount allowed)
One of the great bibliographies of erotica, sex, love, marriage, etc., in dictionary form, with annotations. The history of this very useful work: the first and second editions (1861 and 1864) were each one volume; the third edition (1871-1873) was extensively revised & enlarged to 6 volumes, each approx. 450 pages. This is the last edition published in Gay's lifetime. The fourth and final edition of 1894-1900 was further revised and expanded by J. Lemonyer.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342