[Rarebooks] FS: 1852 Ireland As I Saw It - Balch

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue May 16 17:01:01 EDT 2017

"Ireland, As I Saw It; the Character, Condition, and Prospects of The
People”

By William S. Balch.
Published in New York by Henry Lyon in 1852. 3rd edition.

First published in 1849. A dramatic and entailed description of a rip
through Ireland at the end of the Potato Famine by an American
clergyman. The ‘Dictionary of Unitarian & Universalist Biography’ notes
of the author- William Stevens Balch (1806-1887), a celebrated
Universalist preacher, was also an evangelist, a denominational
organizer, journalist, politician, teacher, and historian. Proud of his
impartiality, he stood apart from Universalist factions. Having mentored
many students for the ministry, he promoted formal theological education
and was a founder of St. Lawrence University.”

Although Balch has written an anti-Catholic immigration screed, ‘Native
American Citizens: Read and Take Warning!’, in 1842, he nonetheless
expressed sympathy for the plight of the citizens on the unhappy isle
once ho got there. “I gazed with astonishment and admiration on much I
saw, and my heart yearned deeply over the wrongs, oppression, ignorance,
and misery I beheld. I saw more to approve in the character of the
people than I expected, more to lament in their condition, and more to
condemn in the operation of aristocratic institutions”, he notes in his
Preface, “But these were undergoing such rapid transformations- every
thing was so agitated, so unsettled, that I could do little more than
contemplate the past, and catch glimpses of the future through the
auguries of the present”.

Hardcover.5”x8”, 432 pages. Publisher’s embossed light brown cloth with
gilt spine title. Covers with moderate wear and some soil and fading.
Stains on the rear endpapers and first and last blank pages which do not
extend to the rest of the pages. Scattered minor internal soil and
spotting. $350

Some Pictures =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43041-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43041-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43041-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images430/th-43041-page3.jpg>

Website
http://www.joslinhall.com

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

Tumblr
https://joslinhall.tumblr.com

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.