[Rarebooks] FS: The Birth of Organized League Baseball, 1856

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Apr 4 09:43:48 EDT 2019

[BASEBALL]. PORTER'S SPIRIT OF THE TIMES. A Chronicle of the Turf, Field
Sports, Literature and the Stage. Volume I, Nos. 1 - 26. New York: [Wm.
Porter & George Wilkes], 1856-1857. First Edition. Folio (10-3/4" x 16")
in the original cloth rebacked with a recent brown morocco leather
spine, lettered in gilt, and corners; original morocco label with the
name "James Burnside" in gilt on the front cover; 416 (of 424) pages.
Illustrated with a color frontispiece of a racing horse, "Flora Temple."
The debut volume with 26 issues of this important sports newspaper
containing accounts of horse races, billiards, cricket matches, chess,
and some of the earliest reportage of baseball games including printed
box scores (developed by Henry Chadwick in 1856) and rule changes. The
National Association of Base Ball Players was the first baseball
organization to extend beyond a single club, and its birth coincides
neatly with this first volume of PORTER'S. The first hint comes in
Volume 1, issue #7, page 93 (11 October 1856): "It is said that a
Convention of all the Base Ball Clubs of this city and suburbs will be
held this fall, for the purpose of considering whether any and what
amendments to the rules and laws governing this game should be made."
The 8 November 1856 issue gives an account that reveals the gentlemanly
nature of the game at that time describing the toasts offered, lyrics of
a song performed solo, and other remarks made to the crowd, though the
writer notes that catches were made on the fly, "instead of the child's
play, 'from the bound.'" The 6 December 1856 issue contains rules for
"The American National Game of Base Ball as played by the Putnam Club of
New York illustrated with a diagram of the field: "We have been so
inundated with communications in reference to the mode of playing the
game of Base Ball, that although we gave the directions in our last
issue as to where the rules of the game could be purchased, we have
concluded to give a diagram and the rules in order that those who desire
to form clubs may be prepared for action at the commencement of the next
season." This evokes a response in a later issue by New England
correspondent "Bob Lively" who describes "how they play the game in New
England" with its own and different diagram: "The ball was thrown, not
pitched or tossed, as a gentleman who has seen 'Base' played in New York
tells me it is; it was thrown, and with a vigor, too, that made it
whistle through the air, and stop with a solid smack in the catcher's
hands, which he generally held directly in front of his face." The first
baseball convention was reported at length on 31 January 1857, with a
patriotic flourish: "Base Ball ... ought to be looked upon in this
country with the same national enthusiasm as Cricket and Foot Ball are
regarded in the British Islands.... There should be some one game
peculiar to the citizens of the United States." The organization formed
at that time can be considered the birth of organized league baseball in
America. Much more. Very scarce peek into the beginnings of our national
pastime. Minor foxing, some pages browned, some unopened, lacking pages
69-72 and 81-84 (there is no baseball information on those pages).
Binding quite nice. Overall Near Fine. (#019207)     $4,000.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/019207.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825