[Rarebooks] FA: Antiquarian Auctions Sale No. 76

William Van Nest trilliumbooks at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 7 15:25:16 EDT 2019

On preview until Thursday, 11 July, you will find upwards of 400 titles on a wide range of subjects offered at auction by Antiquarian Auctions (antiquarianauctions.com <http://antiquarianauctions.com/>).

My friend David, the proud owner of more than 30,000 well-chosen books (I have seen them), used to remark on how well-designed the Antiquarian site was but that unless you were looking for fine Africana, not quite his cup of tea.

He hasn’t expressed such reservations for quite a while now because he has noticed that, while there certainly are many books on Africana to be found there, as one would expect, he could begin yet another collection with the purchase of the first American edition of On the Road by Jack Kerouac or The Lily of Life by Carmen Sylva (Pauline Elizabeth Ottilie Luisa of Wied, Queen of Romania) or, if only to please his philosopher friends, Language, Truth, and Logic by Alfred Jules Ayer. There are a half-dozen Dickens first editions, a similar number of Darwin’s works, a coloured Ortelius map, and an edition of The Sleeping Beauty, illustrated by Arthur Rackham, all worthy of his interest.

Our own listings include, among more than a dozen titles:

Thomas Clarkson. An Essay on the Slavery and Commerce of the Human Species, particularly the African (London, 1788)

Henri Breuil, Mary Boyle, and E. R. Scherz. The White Lady of the Brandberg. Volume One of the Rock Paintings of Southern Africa (London, 1955)

James B. Taylor. A Pioneer Looks Back (London, 1939).

The auction sale extends from 11 July to 18 July. There is no buyer’s premium.

WM

William Van Nest
Trillium Antiquarian Books IOBA
1285 Albertus Avenue