[Rarebooks] FS: Life & times of Medieval Portugual's King John I. Lisbon: 1644. In 3 folio vols.

Kenneth Karmiole kkarmiole at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 11:25:22 EDT 2019

Lopes, Fernao. CHRONICA DEL REY D. IOAM I, de Boa Menoria, e Dos Reyes de Portugal o Decimo: Primera [--Terceira] Parte... Lisboa: Antonio Alvarez. 1644. Folio. 3 volumes. (8),412[i.e. 392],(8);(8),465,(11);(12),307[i.e. 309],(7)pp. Double column text. Each title page with a large woodcut of King John I praying. Woodcut Portuguese royal arms at colophon of Part 3. Bound in Portuguese 18th century mottled calf (colored brown, green, & light orange), spines ornately gilt, each with 2 red morocco labels. Spines have some worm tracks, with a few chips to the spine extremities of Volume 3. Title of Volume 1 backed. Some worming to Volumes 2 & 3; at the inner margin of Volume 2, some of the leaves have been repaired, and at the top margin (sometimes affecting the headline) of about 30 leaves towards the back of Volume 3, most of the leaves being repaired. Occasionally a loss of some letters, but overall readability is O.K. A very scarce set, usually found bound together in 1 thick volume, rather than the 3 separate volumes.    $3,000.00 (trade discount allowed)
The life and times of Portugal's King John I (1357-1433). The auction records (Rarebookhub) only shows one dealer offering, Maggs in 1931! at 35 pounds, no copies are recorded at auction. Goldsmith L200. Not in Penney Hispanic Society Before 1700.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
1239A Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-451-4342