[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Helen Keller Letter Offering Advice to Students

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Mar 26 14:46:25 EDT 2019

 From our new catalog of 85 new arrivals. We posted an incorrect link
yesterday.  Here is the correct one:

https://www.charlesagvent.com/agvent/images/pdfs/SPRING19.pdf

KELLER, Helen. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Forest Hills, NY, 26 January
1923. Superb four-page letter on two sets of adjoining sheets, 7-3/4" x
9-1/2", of @900 words to a Mr. Green SIGNED in pencil by Keller. A
lengthy letter offering advice to a group of students, in part: "You
will readily understand that the task of reading hundreds of letters
through the slow medium of the manual alphabet is no light one, and that
my secretary uses her judgment as to those which shall be spelled out to
me.... I wish I knew the right word of encouragement to say to my
student-friends who are so soon to leave the carefully planned routine
of their school days to begin their Great Adventure in a world where the
unexpected is always happening.... For a time we hold fast to our ideals
... most of us succumb to the fatal maladies of the present day,
materialism and standardization. We surrender our individuality, our
freedom, our aspirations, and retire within the walls of sanctioned
opinion and comfortable habits. In course of time, we, in turn, become
the respectable custodians of accepted creeds, institutions and
traditions.... If we cannot harmonize the practical affairs of life with
our highest youthful ideals, there are great disasters ahead of us....
The hope of humanity is in the young people who are now taking their
places in the world's work.... You are part of the new hope of the
world.... May the spirit of justice and liberty move you to great
deeds." Faint creases from folding, paperclip impressions at top blank
margin, few small stains on one page. About Fine. (#019166)        $2,000.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/019166.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825