[Rarebooks] FS: 1900s Cushing Medical Supply Liquor Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Fri Nov 22 12:38:22 EST 2019

1900s Cushing Medical Supply Liquor Catalog.

Issued in Boston around 1900-1908.

Dr. Ira Barrows Cushing knew a good thing when he found it- a
homeopathic physician, and owner of a patent medicine manufactory and an
1892 patent for a “process of and apparatus for purifying and maturing
liquors or distilled spirits [by] commingling a suitable quantity of
oxygen gas with the atmospheric air, whereby the air which is
disseminated through the liquor is energized or rendered more active for
the purpose of rapidly oxidizing the fusel-oils into their
avoring-acids”, he decided that all that mumbo-jumbo was best used to
sell whiskey, gin, rum, and brandy as a medicinal product. “Cushing
Process whiskies, wines, gins, rums and brandies are recommended by the
leading Physicians of New England and used in the best Hospitals of the
Country” he proclaims on the first page of this catalog, and they might
well have been. And here they are, in all their, um, “medicinal” glory.
Cushing himself died in 1908 and in 1912 the company had been dissolved
for its debts by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Softcover. 3.5”x6”, 12 pages, tinted illustrations. Some soil and wear.
[47413]  $85

Pictures ->
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47413-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47413-cover2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47413-cover3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47413-cover4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images460/th-47413-cover5.jpg>

See more in our related POTENT POTABLES catalog, which may be viewed or
downloaded as a .pdf file here ->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog401.pdf>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

--
Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.