[Rarebooks] FS: Shipmaster and Other Salem Portraits -1924 Essex Institute

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera & Photographs office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jan 30 07:53:21 EST 2020

“Catalogue of Portraits in the Essex Institute, Salem, Massachusetts.
Covering Three Centuries”

By Henry Wilder Foote, et al. Published in Salem by The Essex Institute
in 1936.

The catalog of more than 400 portraits owned by the Essex Institute of
Salem, Massachusetts. Salem was an important center of seafaring on the
north coast of Massachusetts in the 18th and 19th centuries. Merchants,
shipmasters and other well-to-do persons and public officials are all
well represented in this catalog, as is the work of most of the
important portrait artists in the area during that time period. The
portraits are all fully described, including biographical notes on their
subjects. An increasingly uncommon book.

"The Essex Institute (1848-1992) in Salem, Massachusetts, was a
literary, historical and scientific society. It maintained a museum,
library, historic houses; arranged educational programs; and issued
numerous scholarly publications. The Essex Institute was "formed by the
union of the Essex Historical Society and the Essex County Natural
History Society." According to an 1880 travel guide, "its objects are
general and varied. Perhaps the most important is that of local
historical discoveries and the preservation of everything relating to
Essex County history." By the 1930s the institute owned "two fine
[Samuel] McIntire houses in Salem - the Peirce-Nichols House, built in
1782, and the Gardner-Pingree House, built in 1804, both ... open to the
public." In 1992 the institute merged with the Peabody Museum of Salem
to form the Peabody Essex Museum.

Hardcover. 6.5"x9.5", xii + 306 pages, many black & white plates. Minor
soil, but otherwise clean and nice, with a tight binding. $60

Some Pictures =>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-cover.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page1.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page2.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page3.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page4.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page5.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page6.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page7.jpg>
<https://www.joslinhall.com/images387/th-39073-page8.jpg>

sign up for our email list->
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm
--

Joslin Hall Rare Books, Ephemera, & Photographs
Post Office Box 49

-

www.joslinhall.com
(413) 247-5080

Member:
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers
Ephemera Society

Our email list
http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/joslinhallbooks

Twitter
https://twitter.com/joslinhall

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.