[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce Handwritten Longfellow SIGNED MANUSCRIPT with LETTER

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Sep 23 11:15:07 EDT 2020

LONGFELLOW, Henry Wadsworth. AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT SIGNED with AUTOGRAPH
LETTER SIGNED. Cambridge, 20 June 1879. A 3-1/2-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER
SIGNED on both sides of one folded 8-7/8" x 7" sheet addressed to Helen
Hamlin, the daughter of Augustus Hamlin, once Surgeon-General of Maine,
thanking her for the gift of a pen, made of iron from a prison chain
from Chillon that bound Francois de Bonnivard, and enclosing a SIGNED
MANUSCRIPT of his poem "The Pen," 10 quatrains on one large sheet of
paper folded into 4 pages (7 1/8" x 8-3/8"). In his letter, the poet
asks to be forgiven for the delay in sending his thanks and encloses
"some lines, not written with the Pen, but about the Pen. I find that my
hand is fettered by that bit of Bonnivard's chain, and moves more easily
with a lighter quill." An occasional poem if ever Longfellow wrote one,
"The Pen" opens with the stanza, "I thought this Pen would arise,/From
the casket where it lies,/By itself would arise, and write/My thanks and
my Surprise!" It closes, "And forever this gift will be/As a blessing
from you to me,/As a drop of the dew of your youth/On the leaves of my
aged tree." Longfellow closes the letter with a postscript suggesting
"Perhaps at some future day, if you have no objection, I may like to
publish these lines in the ATLANTIC." In fact he published them in
HARPER'S, in December 1879 as "The Iron Pen" and in the 1880 collection
ULTIMA THULE. There are some differences between this and the published
version. For example, the first line of the fourth stanza here is "That
this wood of the war-ship's mast"; while the published version reads
"That this wood from the frigate's mast." The last line of the sixth
stanza in manuscript reads "Shall not pass from me away"; the published
version reads "Shall not fade and pass away." A few other words are
changed. Both letter and poem are SIGNED "Henry W. Longfellow" and dated
20 June 1879. A rare example of a complete poem in Longfellow's hand.
Provenance: Sotheby's 7 December 1999, Sale Number 7394, Lot 65, from
the S. Howard Goldman Collection. Minor staining and light wrinkling
with remnants of mounting hinges. Near Fine.

François Bonivard (or Bonnivard; 1493 - 1570) was a nobleman,
ecclesiastic, historian, and Geneva patriot at the time of the Republic
of Geneva. His life was the inspiration for Lord Byron's 1816 poem THE
PRISONER OF CHILLON. (#020030)    $6,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020030/henry-wadsworth-longfellow/autograph-manuscript-signed-with-autograph-letter-signed

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825