[Rarebooks] fa: R. D. BLACKMORE - LORNA DOONE - First Edition 1869 w/ ALS from Blackmore

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 16 10:14:33 EST 2021

Auction ending Sunday, November 21. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

https://tinyurl.com/266djh8u

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Richard Doddridge Blackmore: Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor. London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1869. FIRST EDITION. Three volumes, 8vo (19 cm), bound in half calf and marbled boards by Bumpus (binder's mark on the front free-endpaper: "John Bumpus...Oxford St."), with gilt-lettered morocco spine labels, marbled endpapers, top page edges gilt; 332, 340, 342 pp.; (bound without the terminal publisher's adverts, as often). Sadleir 227.

Tipped in is a signed autograph note from Blackmore to the editor of the New Magazine, datelined "Teddington, May 7th 1896," in which the author politely begs off an assignment: "I have more work in hand & in prospect than I can easily get through, or anyhow carry on to my own satisfaction. Believe me, dear sir, very faithfully yours R. D. Blackmore."

"Richard Doddridge Blackmore (1825-1900), novelist, known throughout the English-speaking world as the author of Lorna Doone..." So begins the biographical entry for Blackmore in Kunitz & Haycraft's British Authors of the Nineteenth Century. Blackmore was one of the most famous novelists of his time, but today is remembered only for this one novel, a tale of adventure, revenge and romance on the moors during the reign of Charles II. Although it eventually became a phenomenal success and is, in fact, still in print to this day, Lorna Doone initially "languished for a year and a half" on booksellers' shelves. Nevertheless, first editions of the work are surprisingly uncommon. Bindings with sunning/darkening to the spines, some light rubbing and wear to the edges and corners; contents mildly toned with occasional spotting and touches of soiling; else clean and sound, firmly bound.