[Rarebooks] FS: George Washington Cable ARCHIVE OF LETTERS AND MANUSCRIPTS

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Sep 1 15:30:26 EDT 2021

CABLE, George Washington. ARCHIVE OF LETTERS AND MANUSCRIPTS Relating to
Cable's book KINCAID'S BATTERY. Northampton, MA, 1902 - 1903. Superb
collection of material by this former Confederate soldier and important,
neglected writer who paved the way for modern Southern writers such as
Faulkner and Welty in dealing with the pervasive issue of race. Includes
9 AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) to Confederate officer Alexander
Porter Morse; 1 AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to publisher Charles
Scribner; 2 AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPTS SIGNED (AMSs) addressed to Morse's
children; and 2 TYPED LETTERS, unsigned, from Morse to Cable; along with
5 envelopes addressed in Cable's hand. The letters mostly concern
Cable's work and his interest in Morse's experiences in the Civil War.
The letter from Cable to Scribner is one of introduction for Morse. Some
excerpts: "I have begun another cavalry story of New Orleans and
Vicksburg, and I want to sit you down in my library and make you talk.
Oh dear! how can I wait? And I must see that book of Howell Carter [A
CAVALRYMAN'S REMINISCENCES OF THE CIVIL WAR]." "I thank you for the
little sketch and picture of General Pickett, which I return with this
letter. Gettysburg would be quite too much out of focus for my story."
"I am today expressing your invaluable diary back to you. It has given
me many a good point and I wish I might see it again when I get deeper
into the actual writing of my story -- the final writing, I mean.... I
hope you will like 'Strong Hearts.'" "I have your letter of the 17 and
am enjoying the manual of Artillery Tactics greatly. It delights me that
I have chosen my hero from this so highly scientific arm of the
services, an arm which has been so oddly overlooked by the
story-tellers." "I am delighted with 'The Cannoneer' [Augustus Caesar
Buell: THE CANNONEER: RECOLLECTIONS OF SERVICE IN THE ARMY OF THE
POTOMAC]. It gives me points already though I have just received it and
have not looked into it more than four pages deep.... I wish you could
see how I have changed to opening of my story. I have it right this
time, and this again I owe, in degree, to you -- to your patient and
interested attention to my reading of the first draft." Included in this
archive are the first two pages of that first draft which differ greatly
from the published version, both written in a very small hand and
INSCRIBED and SIGNED by Cable at the bottom of each page, both
apparently to the son and daughter of Morse who are described by Morse
in his letters to Cable as fiercely competing to read a copy of Cable's
THE CAVALIER that was in the Morse home. KINCAID'S BATTERY, about a
Confederate army artillery unit set in New Orleans, was not published
until 1908. Some tears and wrinkles; two letters are laid down on
cardboard. Very Good condition overall.

Alexander Porter Morse received notoriety during the Civil War as a
prisoner of war on the "Maple Leaf," a civilian steamboat chartered by
the Union Army to transport prisoners north. The Confederate prisoners
overtook the crew of the vessel in June 1863 along with Union soldiers
and officers on board. Seventy-one of the nearly 100 Confederate
prisoners, including nineteen-year-old Lt. Morse, managed to escape off
the steamboat, ultimately making it safely to Richmond. After the war,
Morse relocated to Washington, DC to become a journalist and
correspondent, eventually earning a PhD from Princeton University in
1885. He was the author of several law books and represented Judge
Howard Ferguson in the famous Plessy v. Ferguson case. (#020615) $5,000

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020615/george-washington-cable/archive-of-letters-and-manuscripts-relating-to-cables-book-kincaids-battery

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825