[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Alice B. Toklas Letter to Carl Van Vechten's Partner

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Thu Sep 9 11:33:04 EDT 2021

TOKLAS, Alice B. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Rome, 8 January 1961. A
one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED on 5-1/2" x 8-3/4" paper to Saul
Mauriber. In part: "There never was a Christmas card (?) like the one
you sent me. The cymbals and horns made music in my ears and the Angel
was very real.... There is a real scramble in the convent who shall be
given it but undoubtedly it is Sister Saint Paul who win [sic]. No one
can ever refuse her anything.... Christmas night I was taken to a big
dinner -- nine o'clock instead of a baked apple on a tray in my room at
seven o’clock. There was finally turkey with truffles and a special
outsize mushroom. For dessert an immense cake (twenty-four) at table on
top in chocolate a country Christmas scene. Very good wine-- champagne
like water. At 2.30 a.m. I was brought back to the convent gate. The
next morning I apologized to Sister Saint Paul. Do you know the noise
the Italians make like a hen chi chi chi? Well, she made it and said
'Christmas only comes once a year.'" SIGNED "Alice." With the original
envelope addressed in Toklas's hand. Faint creases from mailing. Fine.

Saul Mauriber was the last collaborator and partner of photographer Carl
Van Vechten as well as photographic executor for Van Vechten's estate.
Van Vechten and his wife, Fania Marinoff, had always been close to Stein
and Toklas, and he was Stein's literary executor. They looked after
Alice after Stein's death. (#020637)        $500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020637/alice-b-toklas/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825