[Rarebooks] FS: John Ruskin ARROWS OF THE CHACE with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER with ORIGINAL DRAWING

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Dec 13 08:26:46 EST 2022

RUSKIN, John. ARROWS OF THE CHACE BEING A COLLECTION OF SCATTERED
LETTERS PUBLISHED CHIEFLY IN THE DAILY NEWSPAPERS,-- 1840-1880 with an
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) tipped in. Sunnyside, Orpington, Kent:
George Allen, 1880. First Edition. Two volumes in original boards with
paper spine labels. Essays on Art Education, Architecture, J. M. W.
Turner, Women: Their Work and Dress, and other topics. With a two-page
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED with an ORIGINAL DRAWING by Ruskin to "My dear
Barnes" dated 8 September 1878 tipped to the front endpaper. In full: I
don't like to give Mr. Ellis trouble about so little a thing, and I
daresay you will be good enough to find time to do it for me; -- I want
the best accounts that have been given in the papers of a waterspout
said to have destroyed a town in Hungary: and of the late steamboat
catastrophe at Woolwich: --buy the back numbers of any paper that give
details and a little account, for which I will at once remit you post
order, -- and if you are faring any time soon through the Burlington [?]
please buy from the nice old lady who keeps the [?] shop near your Bond
St. end of it, three of her least terrestrial globes-- (about this size
they are, I think -- for some infinitesimal price! on a tiny stand.
[Ruskin includes a drawing of the globe here with the remark: "I drew
too large at first."] and send me these down here at once. Always very
heartily & gratefully yours JRuskin." Darkening to edges of text;
soiling and rubbing to covers, heaviest to spine. Very Good. (#021033)
$1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021033/john-ruskin/arrows-of-the-chace-being-a-collection-of-scattered-letters-published-chiefly-in-the-daily

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825