[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Letter by Journalist Joseph Alsop

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Sat Mar 5 12:00:53 EST 2022

ALSOP, Joseph. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Washington DC, 18 May 1983.
Two-page letter SIGNED as "Joe" on his personal stationery to journalist
Richard Tobin. In part: "It did me good to hear from you again, and I am
delighted you liked the FDR book. (An odd thing: the only really
successful book I have ever written but turned out in a couple of
months, in fact in an interval of the last lap of very much harder work
on my big scholarly book on the history of art collecting [THE RARE ART
TRADITIONS: THE HISTORY OF ART COLLECTING AND ITS LINKED PHENOMENA
WHEREVER THESE HAVE APPEARED], which took eighteen years to complete!)."
Alsop discusses the loss of both living and dead friends. "All my
contemporary men friends in Washington are dead, and the biggest blow of
all was the loss of my brother Stewart eight years ago." A revealing
letter by an influential journalist and top insider in Washington from
1945 to the late 1960s, often in conjunction with his brother Stewart
Alsop. Near Fine. (#020835)        $75

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020835/joseph-alsop/typed-letter-signed-tls

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each
thereafter for Priority; $8 for the first item; $4 for each thereafter
for Media Mail. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.
Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American
Express, and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 7 days of
receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent
and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.
We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and
19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential
Autographs, Illustrated Books, and one of the largest inventories of
Limited Editions Club books. *We have been in business since 1987 and
are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
(ILAB).* Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638